Ceredigion Catering Service
Welcome to the School Meals section of our school website.
New menus will be available from September 2016
The Benefits of a School Meal
- Your child can benefit from Healthy nutritious meals, saving you time not to have to make a packed lunch.
- Children benefit from sitting down and eating together at a table and are encouraged to try new foods.
- Your child will develop healthy eating habits at an early age which hopefully will continue into later life.
- Your child will receive a 1/3 of their daily nutritional requirements by having a school meal.
- Meals are balanced and healthy and there is variety from one day to the next.
- We cater for vegetarians and all special diets whilst considering religious and medical nutritional requirements.
- Your child can join in with special themed meals that link with subjects being taught in class and also national initiatives.
- School meals are excellent value for money and provide a healthy and nutritious two course meal and drink for £2.45 so why not give it a go!
- At Plascrug, Foundation Phase pupils receive a hot dinner whilst pupils in Key Stage 2 (Years 3-6) can choose between a hot dinnner and a cold dinner.
- Your child's school meal will include a portion of all the items contained on the Eatwell Plate.
Our Recipes and Ingredients:
- All of our school meals are made from scratch, using natural ingredients and traditional cooking methods.
- If you would like any recipes used in the menus please contact: Gill Jones on 07794 627 915.
- Whenever possible we endeavour to source our ingredients locally.
How to pay for your child's school meals?
- School lunches cost £2.45 per day or £12.25 per week. This should be paid in advance to Mrs. Tracy Welsh, our School Meals Clerk at the main reception.
- Payment is preferred in the form of a cheque made payable to 'Ceredigion County Council', however cash is also accepted.
- 'Alwyn Afal' dinner money envelopes are now available at the Reception Desk.
- To discuss school meals payment, you can contact Mrs. Tracy Welsh by telephoning 01970 612286 or emailing email@example.com
Is your child entitled to Free School Meals?
You will be eligible to receive the allowance on behalf of your child/children if BOTH the following criteria apply: -
1. The pupils (aged 4+) attend schools under the jurisdiction of Ceredigion Education Authority on a full-time basis
2. The pupils live with a parent, partner or legal guardian currently receiving either:
- Income Support; or
- Income based Job Seekers Allowance; or
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999; or
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (IR); or
- Child Tax Credit but not Working Tax Credit and have an annual income, as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs that does not exceed £16,190 PLEASE NOTE: If you receive Working Tax Credit you do not qualify; or
- Guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
Application and Renewals
In the first instance please complete an application form, available from the download below, or if you prefer please contact the Education Authority (01970 633664) and your claim can be processed immediately over the phone. Initial and ongoing checks to confirm your eligibility will be made using your National Insurance Number and Date of Birth so renewals, in these cases, should be automatic once your claim is processed.
Where checks are impossible or inconclusive, Ceredigion County Council we will ask you to provide documentary proof. For applicants in receipt of Income Support, free school meals will then be granted for a six month period. For applicants in receipt of Child Tax Credits, free school meals will be granted for the duration of the financial year covered by their notification letter from HM Revenue & Customs. Around a month before the end of these periods a Renewal form will be sent out for you to complete.
In instances where the evidence of qualifying Child Tax Credit is late being sent to the claimant by HM Revenue & Customs, parents should immediately forward their application form to this Office with a note stating that they still await receipt of their notification letter. Parents will initially have to pay for school meals but free school meals will be retrospectively authorised and parents will be refunded for the cost of meals received and paid for from the date of receipt of the application form once they receive and submit the confirmatory documentary evidence from HM Revenue & Customs for the current financial year.
Changes in Circumstances
If your circumstances change then you will need to inform the Education Authority immediately. In instances where claimants fail to notify the Authority of changes that affect their children's entitlement to free school meals, the Authority reserves the right to take suitable action.
For further information please contact:
The Data Unit
Ceredigion County Council
Department of Education & Community Services
Telephone: 01970 633664
Fax: 01970 633663
Did you Know?
- Your child will receive 1 portion of fruit and at least 1 portion of vegetables a day in their school lunch. Working towards their 'Five a day'!
- We use Freedom Food Eggs in our recipes and local produce as far as we can!
- Your child's lunch has been nutritionally analysed to provide a balanced menu.
- All our Catering Staff are highly trained in Food Hygiene, Nutrition and Customer Care.
Ceredigion County Council is committed to healthy eating.
The aims of Ceredigion County Council's Healthy Eating Policy are:-
- Maintaining and increasing healthier food choices available.Constantly reviewing and updating recipes and menu cycles in line with recommendations.
- Increasing, at all levels, the awareness, knowledge and understanding of the potential benefits of healthy eating.
- Ensuring that the methods of food preparation and cooking complies with the principles of healthy eating i.e. grilling and oven cooking rather than frying.
- Ensuring that the manufactured food products and purchasing contracts comply with the healthy eating recommendations.
- To promote healthy eating by increasing the amount of fruit, vegetables and unrefined cereal products in the diet, while decreasing total fat, sugar and salt.
- Please ask at the Reception Desk for a copy of our current School Meals menu.
Melda John & Elonwy James
Rheolwyr Gwasanaeth Arlwyo Ceredigion
Ceredigion Catering Service Managers