Welcome to the Nursery
Starting school is an important milestone for your child. However, the process of learning has begun at home with you; you and your family are your child’s most influential educators.
We look forward to welcoming you and your child to the wider family in our Foundation Phase Department at Plascrug. We place great value on creating a partnership with you so that together we can continue to help your child develop and learn. Just think how much your child has already learned in his/her first three years!
The Nursery classes are a very valued part of Plascrug School with their life and work guided by the aims and objectives of the whole school. However, the needs of our youngest children are quite specific and our approach to their education is inspired by an environment which
promotes self-discipline and self-esteem, enabling children to become motivated and independent learners.
- To provide a safe and caring environment for the development of each child’s intellectual, physical, social and emotional potential.
- To help each child develop his / her self identity and a view of themselves as having competence and worth.
- To learn to live effectively along side other children, to value their own rights and those of others.
- To create and develop an attitude towards school which will enable them to become motivated learners.
- To establish a bond between home and school which will be of mutual benefit to children, staff and parents.
There are seven areas of learning in the curriculum for 3-7year olds that supports the development of children and their skills. These areas compliment each other and work together to provide a cross-curricular approach to form a practical
relevant curriculum. Emphasis is placed on developing children’s skills across the areas of learning, to provide a suitable and integrated approach for young
The 7 areas of learning are:
- · Personal and Social Development, Well-Being and Cultural Diversity
- Language, Literacy and Communication Skills
- Mathematical Development
- Welsh Language Development
- Knowledge and Understanding of the World
- Physical Development; and
- Creative Development.
To help with our Language, literacy and communication skills we use Jolly Phonics.
To help with our Mathematical development we use Numicon.